Welcome to Children’s Services in the Rainy River District
The early years are important. A child's brain and body develop very quickly in the first years of life. The experiences children have in early childhood have a lasting effect on their health and well-being.
We are committed to providing programs and services that enhance opportunities for early childhood development and that support healthy families. We achieve this by working with community partners to invest in and promote an affordable, accessible, responsive, and high quality early years system.
The Rainy River DSSAB has responsibility for the District’s family resource, early learning, and child care system for children from birth to 12 years of age which includes the following:
- Child Care Fee Subsidy
- Licensed Early Learning and Child Care
- Special Needs Resourcing
- Provincial Child Care Wage Enhancement Grant
- Child and Family Centres
- Early Years Community Planning and Knowledge Mobilization
- Planning and Service Coordination Tables for Children and Families
NEW – Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement (CWELCC)
The Federal and Provincial governments signed the Ontario-Canada child care agreement (CWELCC) which will:
- give families access to more affordable and high-quality child care options
- help lower child care fees for parents of children five years of age and under
- increase child care spaces
- support the early years workforce.
Families with children aged 0-5 in licensed child care settings will see financial relief through reduced parent fees with $10/day average fees by September 2025. Find out more about what the new agreement means for families and the child care workforce here.
The Rainy River DSSAB is working closely with child care operators to implement the CWELCC across the District. Child care operators have until September 1, 2022 to enrol in the new program. Applicable parent fee reductions will be retroactive to April 1, 2022. The CWELCC requires the development of many new policies and procedures. We ask for families to please be patient as we work with operators to roll-out the new program as quickly as possible.